Thursday, December 30, 2010
Wednesday, December 29, 2010
* It is thought that wearing new clothes for New Years Eve or New Years Day will increase the likelihood that you will receive lots of new clothes in the new year...we like this one!
*Wear yellow or gold! These colors exude optimism and are said to bring financial prosperity so by wearing it you will be ensured good fortune in the new year
* Wear white! This color is said to bring peace in the new year
* Wear red! Red is associated with warmth and luck in love. If you choose to wear red undies, you will increase the chances of having some good "amor" in the new year.
* Wear green! Green is thought to be luckiest of colors in Ireland and signifies positive change, serenity, and wealth.
Do you have lucky color traditions? Share them with us!! Have a fantastic day!
The Moody Mamas
Tuesday, December 28, 2010
Monday, December 27, 2010
Thursday, December 23, 2010
*Spice Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
*Here is a really yummy recipe that we actually made last night- some of the best chocolate chip cookies around...this recipe was originally taken from
Alton Brown, then was "doctored up" by www.recipegirl.com.
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1. Sift together flour, salt and baking soda; set aside.
2. Melt butter in medium saucepan over low heat. Continue to cook on low heat, stirring often, until butter is browned. Turn off heat and stir in white and brown sugars.
3. Scrape into a medium mixing bowl and use electric mixer to cream the butter and sugars together. Add half & half, lemon juice, vanilla extract and eggs. Mix in until well combined. Add half of the flour mixture and incorporate into the batter with electric mixer. Add the rest and mix until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. The cookie dough will be very soft and buttery. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill until firm (an hour or two).
4. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop up heaping Tablespoonfuls of cookie dough and use your hands to roll into balls. Place 12 balls on a sheet, keeping about an inch and a half between each ball.
5. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, depending on how large you’ve rolled your balls (mine took 11 minutes).
Yield: About 2 1/2 dozen
Have a wonderful day!
The Moody Mamas
Wednesday, December 22, 2010
Tuesday, December 21, 2010
Diabetes is not only dangerous to the mom's health but it can be harmful to the baby's as well. Some of the effects of gestational and pre-existing diabetes include: an increased risk of miscarriage, preterm birth, and low blood-sugar and jaundice in the infant. What to do if you are pregnant and are at risk for gestational diabetes? Unfortunately, there are no guarentees but according to the Mayo Clinic, the more healthy habits you adopt during pregnancy the better. Here are some tips to staying healthy while preggers:
* Eat healthy. Choose foods low in fat and calories. Focus on fruits, vegetables and whole grains...Duh. However, no need to compromise taste when eating healthy. There are tons of delcious varieties of healthy foods available in supermarkets that offer organic foods like Whole Foods and Trader Joes so check them out!
* Get some phyical activity. Pickng up the remote and putting it down does not count. Aim for 30 minutes of activity a day. Feeling a little lazy? Go for a leisurely walk. Another slower paced option? Yoga or pilates- still a physical challange and great for your core muscles.
*Plan ahead. If you are planning on getting pregnant and you are overweight, losing weight before you are pregnant might help you have a healthier pregnancy.
*Maintain a healthy pregnancy weight and try to stay within what is considered the "desirable" weight for your weight and height.
Have a great day!
The Moody Mamas
Monday, December 20, 2010
*Congrats to Moody Mamas fan and wife of Vince Vaughn, Kyla Vaughn, who gave birth to daughter Locklyn Kyla Vaughn this past Saturday!
* Here's a lovely story about the power of breast milk...A few years ago, actress Jenna Elfman was trying to breast feed her son, Story, but he wouldn't take to her milk. Regardless, Ms. Elfman continue to pump the milk and stored it in her freezer in case he finally changed his mind. Though her son never did end up using Jenna's breast milk, a family friend's sister was a drug addict and as a result had given birth to a drug addicted baby. When Jenna heard about her family friend's sad situation, she offered her supply of breast milk because the poor baby could not keep formula down. The second the baby started drinking the breast milk, he was able to digest and all of his medical issues started to disappate. The baby started going through withdrawal easier, was able to gain weight and is now a thriving three year old who was adopted by Jenna's friend. Yay for the power of breast milk and for a happy ending:)
*If you can't sleep because you are uncomfortably pregnant or if you are up at 2am due to a feeding-you're actually in luck! According to NASA, a very rare total lunar eclipse will occur in the early hours of December 21. The fun will begin at 1:33am EST when the moon will enter the Earth's inner shadow and depending on weather conditions, the moon will start to take on either a copper shade or a red brown shade (changes according to pollution in the atmosphere). After 2:41 am the moon will be fully eclipsed and will remain eclipsed until 3:53am. The moon will then begin to come out of the Earth’s shadow and will once again become fully visible 5:01 am EST. Hopefully you will not be up to watch the entire (you need your precious sleep), however, if you are up to catch a little of the action, enjoy!!
Have a great day!
The Moody Mamas
Friday, December 17, 2010
1. Red Envelope- http://www.redenvelope.com/. "The place for unique and personalized gifts" this online shopping destination is a great place to find fun and unusual items for everyone in your family. One item that we love? The father and child braided leather bracelet. Perfect for the father to be or a new father, this leather bracelet can be monogrammed with your children's initials and is a special keepsake but still looks "manly". Enter "Save10" and get a 1o%discount on your order today.
Thursday, December 16, 2010
Wednesday, December 15, 2010
Happy hump day! It's the middle of the week and time to start thinking about what to wear to those holiday parties you have this weekend. This week, we were inspired by a variety of trends- from the future Princess to the animal prints, here are some ways to style up your outfit for those shin-digs, all for under $100!
Tuesday, December 14, 2010
Monday, December 13, 2010
We hope that everyone had a fantastic weekend!! If you were snowed in like most of the Mid-West, we bet you watched tons of holiday movies and watched the gorgeous snow-fall from inside. Lucky you! All that relaxing and fun can make you feel especially sad when Monday comes around...Well,turn that frown upside down- as always, we have some happy news to share with you in case you are suffering from a case of the "Mondays".
Friday, December 10, 2010
- Elizabeth Edwards
The 61 year old attorney, best-selling author and estranged wife of former presidential candiate, John Edwards died in her home this past Tuesday. Politics aside, Elizabeth Edwards was a couragous wife and mother who had to cope with some of life's most difficult hardships including her husband's infidelity, her son's tragic death and her own public battle with cancer. Through it all, Elizabeth Edwards demonstrated grace and strength. Elizabeth provided comfort to her family but her reach went far beyond her inner circle for she touched the lives of many with her fortitude.
A devoted mother, Elizabeth Edwards was said to be have been influenced by the 80's movie, "Terms of Endearment" and began writing a letter to her children decades before she told about her disease. Written to help her children cope with the loss if one day she was to die, her "dying letter" to them also served as a manual on how to live.
Whether you have started your family or are preparing to have a child, perhaps you can learn from her example and create your own version of a "life's guide" for your children. The message does not need to be sad in nature and it does not even need to be a source for if and/or when you die. Teaching your children the lessons you learned in life is important; as are your family traditions. Taking the time to chronicle these experiences allows you to leave your stamp on life so that it can be passed on for years to come.
Elizabeth lived life to the fullest and serves an inspiration to " have faith in the power of resilience and hope".
Mourners are asked to make donations to the Wade Edwards Foundation, which was created in honor of Edwards' son who died in a car crash at age 16. www.wade.org/donate.htm
If you want to learn about Elizabeth Edwards in her own words:
Have a wonderful weekend!
The Moody Mamas
Thursday, December 9, 2010
1 bottle (128 ounces of cranberry juice (chilled)
1 carton (64 ounces) of orange juice (chilled)
5 cups of water
4 cups of pineapple juice (chilled)
3 1/4 cups of sugar
3/4 cup lemon juice (fresh or real lemon juice from bottle)
Simply add all the ingredients to a large punch bowl. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
This will yield 34 servings (8 quarts) in punch bowl cups.
1/4 cup Ginger Syrup
4 1/2 cups sparkling apple cider
6 cinnamon sticks
6 pieces crystallized ginger
Place 2 tablespoons ginger syrup in each of six glasses. Fill glasses with ice cubes, pour in cider, and stir to combine. Garnish with cinnamon sticks and fresh ginger, and serve. Read more at Marthastewart.com: Apple-Ginger Sparklers - Martha Stewart Recipes
1-3/4 to 2 qt. French vanilla or cinnamon ice cream
2 qt. dairy eggnog or canned eggnog, chilled (8 cups)
1 liter cream soda, chilled
Peppermint sticks, cinnamon sticks, and/or candy canes (optional)
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
1. Place ice cream in an extra-large punch bowl. Add half the eggnog. Stir and mash mixture using a potato masher until ice cream is melted and mixture is well combined. Stir in remaining eggnog. Slowly pour in cream soda, stirring to combine. To each glass add a peppermint stick, cinnamon stick, or candy cane. Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon (about 1/8 teaspoon per serving). Makes about 24 (6-ounce) servings.
Wednesday, December 8, 2010
Here are a few ways to where this look and get it right:
*The Dana Dress available on http://www.nordstrom.com/
Tuesday, December 7, 2010
Monday, December 6, 2010
How adorable does she look? Dressing in "cutesy" holiday gear is a definite do when you are pregnant. Festive and fun, why not? We don't sell any of this sort currently on http://www.moodymamas.com/ but never say never!
To prevent you from having a case of "the Mondays", we wanted to cheer you up with these two silly videos about pregnant. First up-our favorite pregnant actress and comedienne, Christina Applegate stars as Roxy Fedaro in a hysterical skit about pre-natal pole dancing. Check it out here. Be forewarned, there is a mild use of expletives and sexual suggestion, so don't watch it around the kiddies!
Equally funny, a few weeks ago, Rachel Zoe announced her pregnancy and we said that we could not wait to see how she dressed her baby fashionista....well, apparently we don't have to wait anymore! Click here to "literally" watch her dress her future baby in this silly parody.
Lastly, to bring you "good cheer", check out some of our favorite sites to enter their MM giveaways for a chance to win awesome prizes:
And of course register to win on this blog for a chance to win a piece from our new Target.com collection! All you have to do is go to http://www.mmtarget.com/ and tell us which 2 pieces are your favorite via "commenting" on our site.
Have a wonderfully amazing Monday! 4 more days until the weekend again:)
The Moody Mamas
Friday, December 3, 2010
Today's generation of parents are more inclined to refer to pop culture when chosing their child's name according to Baby Center. In fact, according to this year's studies over 36% of expectant parents were inspired by social media when it came to chosing their baby's name. As for the psychology behind the name , it seems that positive connotations are particularly important. Hence, our beloved characters from the movie/book, "Twilight" have ascended to top 10 status this year. Love "Quinn" from Glee? Bristol Palin from "Dancing with the Stars" or Bode Miller from the winter Olympics? You're not alone. These names are gaining momentum because in our culture, celebrities our royalty and who wouldn't want their child to be a Prince or a Princess? Now, for the Top 10 Names of 2010 :
Top 10 Girls' Names:
Top 10 Boy's Names:
Remember to register for our Moody Mamas Giveaway by checking out our Target.com capsule collection and telling us your favorite 2 pieces on this blog via "commenting" so that you could look fabulous this holiday season for free:)
Have a fabulous weekend!!
The Moody Mamas
Thursday, December 2, 2010
Wednesday, December 1, 2010
1 large egg
3 tablespoon(s) chopped chives
2 tablespoon(s) matzo meal or all-purpose flour
2 tablespoon(s) grated onion
1 tablespoon(s) fresh lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon(s) salt
1/4 teaspoon(s) coarsely ground black pepper
2 1/2 pound(s) baking potatoes, peeled
1/2 cup(s) vegetable oil, for frying
Applesauce and sour cream
Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Line cookie sheet with paper towels.
In bowl, with fork, lightly beat egg. Stir in chives, matzo meal, onion, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. In food processor with shredding disk, shred potatoes. Place potatoes in colander in sink; squeeze out liquid. Stir potatoes into egg mixture.
In nonstick 12-inch skillet, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until very hot. Drop potato mixture by scant 1/4 cups into oil to make 6 latkes. Flatten each latke into 3-inch round.
Cook latkes 8 to 10 minutes or until both sides are browned and crisp, turning over once. With slotted spatula, transfer to lined cookie sheet. Keep warm.
Repeat, stirring mixture each time before frying and adding more oil for each batch. Serve with applesauce and sour cream.
Tuesday, November 30, 2010
The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN) and the American College of Allergy, Ashtma & Immunolgy (ACAAI) are great recources for prenatal education about the basics and prevention of food allergies. Tips such as " refrain from eating peanuts through the duration of pregnancy and breastfeeding to avoid introducing peanut proteins to (your) offspring"and "a nursing mother should avoid eating other foods that a baby is commonly allergic to such as eggs and cows' milk" are all available on their sites.
Since this is tip Tuesday here are some helpful hints for dealing with food allergies:
Carefully check all ingredient labels
Learn other names of the food responsible for the allergy
Exercise caution when eating out because restaurant staff is not always aware of specific ingredients or how food is prepared
For more information regarding food allergies, we recommend checking out the "Preventing or Delaying the Onset of Food Allergies in Infants" brochure at http://www.foodallergy.org/, contacting FAAN at (800) 929-4040 or you can visit the at http://www.allergy.mcg.edu/ or call them at their toll free number (800) 842-7777.
On a happier note, here is another tip granted to you by the ladies of Moody Mamas- check out our Target.com collection and enter to win a piece from the collection. All you have to do is click here www.target.com/s/moody-mamas and tell us what your favorite two pieces are on this blog via commenting. We also have some great sales going on right now on http://www.moodymamas.com/ so be sure to check them out!!!
Have a wonderful day:)
The Moody Mamas
Monday, November 29, 2010
- Take advantage of Cyber Monday! The fabulous follow-up to Black Friday except you do not need to exert as much energy! Most of the major store chains and online stores including our own, will be hosting special deals today so check them out. Some of our favorite sales sites- www.moodymamas.com, www.nordstrom.com, and www.target.com. Ok, shameless self promotion but check them out for some deals!
- Monday night tv specials! Since we are now in the full swing of the holiday season, television specials like "CMA Country Christmas" are on, a lot of times on Monday night. Not everyone's source of mental medication, but t.v. can definitely be a stress reliever, especially when it full of holiday cheer!
- Don't feel like cooking? A lot of restaurants and fast food chains offer special weekday discounts just for people like you! Check sites like metromix for daily restaurant deals near you.
- Speaking of eating...did anyone else binge eat for the past few days? Not as fun, but Monday is the perfect day to start your week off right. Whether it is starting to eat healthier, going to the gym, or finally doing that laundry that has piled up for the past two weeks...Monday is the beginning of the week and is a great day to make some positive lifestyle changes.
Friday, November 26, 2010
Tis the season of giving so we are giving you the chance to win a Moody Mamas piece from our Target collection. All you have to do is go to www.target.com/s/moody-mamas , pick out your favorite 2 pieces and comment about them on this blog.
Now, stop reading this blog and get to your shopping!! Have a wonderful weekend,
The Moody Mamas
Wednesday, November 24, 2010
Friday is the official start to holiday shopping and we are so excited about all of the wonderful deals that are coming our way. We too have fantastic deals on http://www.moodymamas.com/ going on in celebration of Black Friday and Cyber Monday so keep your eyes open and your computer near. Also, if you are looking for a freebie, be sure to check out and register for our Moody Mamas giveaway in honor of our fabulous and affordable capsule collection at http://www.moodymamas.com/. All you have to do to enter is check out our Target collection and tell us which two pieces are your favorite via "commenting" on our blog and ta da, you are enrolled for a chance to win a great piece. It's as easy as that!
Since many of you will be traveling in the next few days here are some tips to help you have a more enjoyable travel experience:
1) Play music for yourself and the baby- your baby might get a little cranky from being in the car too long as well, so whether in utero or already born, play some good jams for you both to enjoy
2) Enjoy silly car games of yesteryear- remember those funny games like "try to find a license plate for every state" while you are on the road, or "count how many people are picking their noses while they drive"- you might feel like a kid again and it will make the time pass faster
3) Do a magazine exchange- ever been on a long plane ride, finish your magazine collection only to find out that you have 2 more hours left?!!! Don't panic, make a new friend (who has a similar stack of magazines)and ask if they want to switch. You might end up talking for the remainder of the trip or at the very least you will have something new to read!
4) Bring delicious snacks- sure the "big gorge" is tomorrow, but no need to put off the yummy snacking today. Having something tasty to look forward to always make the journey more enjoyable. If you are in the car and have the money to make some rest stops, check out some local restaurants or specialty chains along the way to spice up the trip- heading down south? Check out Cracker Barrel. Awesome biscuits and a really fun store.
5) Chat- how often are you in tight quarters with your family? Take the time to get into some good convos. Try to make them light and humorous. Yelling and screaming on the road is dangerous and not pleasant for anyone...
Congrats to Kelly Preston and John Travolta on their baby boy, Benjamin!! Safe travels everyone!!
The Moody Mamas
Tuesday, November 23, 2010
Award shows, concerts, and parades are all things that celebs have to look forward to come this time of year. Generally, it does not stop for stars even when they are pregnant. Imagine feeling sluggish and hungry, then being told that you have to show off your newly pregnant belly to the general public? Well, if you are the singer, Pink, you might feel excited about it! Baring the belly is something a lot of celebs do when they are pregnant, Demi Moore started that trend and as we mentioned recently, Miranda Kerr was pictured recently posing nude as well. However, we ask you, do real folks like to bare their bellies in public when expecting? If so, is this a fashion DO or a fashion DON'T?
There are lots of fashion DO's and DONT's even when you are pregnant that you might want to consider around this time. Perhaps you are not a celeb, but we bet you have lots of events to attend to, beginning with Thanksgiving. Here at MM, we think it is a DO to get dressed up for occasions like Thanksgiving dinner. Of course, we are biased since we sell fabulous dresses (if we do say so ourselves) but we encourage you to dress for special occasions when they present themselves. We have noticed that a lot of pregnant ladies don't dress up for occasions or events because they are afraid they will not be comfortable, or they like having the excuse not to. We get it, but isn't it sometimes fun to have something to get dressed for? Being pregnant, you are most likely saying no, but once you find that perfect outfit (other than your sweats), you might find that you feel more confident. Maybe being confident when pregnant isn't about baring your belly, but maybe it is more about covering yourself in clothes that make you feel good about yourself. Therefore, this Thanksgiving, we invite you to be a fashion DO and get dressed in something that makes you feel comfy (you will be eating a lot) while looking fabulous. In the market for some affordable and comfortable looks? Check out our capsule collection at Target.com. http://bit.ly/helHYe and http://www.moodymamas.com/ for some looks that will have people ooh-ing and ahh-ing over your style. Want to incorporate our styles with some pieces you already have? Here are some tips for looking great for your Thanksgiving din din.
- Go jersey! Not jersey shore...we mean fabric. Soft and comfortable, most jerseys have an innate stretch that will feel fantastic on your skin and will not bind to your body in an uncomfortable. Whether in the form of a dress or a top, we highly recommend this fabric!
- It's a cinch! Grab a belt to separate the bust from the belly when putting together a flowy top or a top that does not show off your adorable figure. Trust us, the belt will show off your killer curves.
- Accessorize! There is nothing worse than looking at your closet and finding NOTHING to wear. Shake up even your most dull drum outfit with a few fun accessories. We are loving chunky necklaces right now as well as sparkley bracelets. People will be staring at the jewels so they won't even notice the outfit!
- Brighten up! Sure you might not being feeling bright on the inside but no one has to know that... In fact, studies have shown that when wearing bright colors people's moods can change for the positive. We are loving colors like fuschia and turquoise right now.
Two days until Turkey Day! Gobble gobble:)
The Moody Mamas
Monday, November 22, 2010
Friday, November 19, 2010
Thursday, November 18, 2010
Have you heard? Pink, is pregnant as is reality star and fashion diva, Rachel Zoe. Congrats to these fantastically talented ladies! Pink has mentioned that she thinks she is having a girl, which is so fitting due to her name. Rachel Zoe has yet to predict her baby's gender but we secretly hope it is a girl so that Suri Cruise can have a fashion rival!
to use a spinnning top- no wait, that will only tell you if you are in a dream.